Sunday, March 05, 2006

Uninteruptable.. my aunt..

So.. We all know that UPS stands for uninterruptable power suply, well, like heck it is.

My UPS is grumpy, it makes the grumpy people in life look calm, nice and pleasant to spend time with.. In essense I guess it needs a new battery, but rather than go "Hey, I need a new battery, I will just pass power through me and do nothing more than act as a 4 way socket" its been playing tricks on me.

We are a little harsh on electrics, we have so much electrical stuff our house probably hums. However, his air cooler thing has an oddity of its own. It makes a sound like something catching in the fan every so often and Ive seen my lights dim often as its sucking more power to counteract it, I think this was something that irritated my UPS. As it would whine that there wasnt sufficient power, next came the "I dont like this load" act it has, eg I turn on 2 PCs and it starts flashing lights at me as if it were overloaded.. but I happen to know better. Finally last night it started just being making its last final mistake.. Just rebooting stuff every hour.. no loss of battery power, no loss of power, no nothing just "poof" everything rebooted..

so.. this morning wsa the fun hunt trying to find enough cables and stuff to remove the thing from the collective.. (After waiting 2 hours for it to power up 1 machine and it sulking and saying no..)

What a great sunday this will be. (PS queue on the wow test server stands around 4500... with a 2.5 hour wait.. dont the americans EVER sleep?? its like 1am)

EDIT: I should point out here apparently half of the town near us spent 3 hours with out electrics, but apparently this power flux was happening all over.. Sorry UPS but you could have made out there was a real power issue!

4 comments:

Blandishment Blog said...

I think it is time for a new UPS my friend!

ANd ys, we older americans sleep, and I know my kids did, unless they leap from bed once they know dad's asleep..........hmmmmm...opportunity for a covernt camera presents itself here!

Blandishment Blog said...

speaking of computer related things, have you read the latest installments in my
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR posts on my Blog?

Blandishment Blog said...

Oh, PS when I post on my blog there is a spell checker function

Charlie said...

Yeah, I keep forgetting to hit that spell checker.. and no, I need to read the latest on your kernel_data_inpage_error stuff..