Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Yesterdays decision still stands..

I guess it could be hard to explain why the decision I made yesterday makes so much difference, when in fact, Im not sure anyone will even notice.

I was supposed to be the primary support for something. A person who has far less experience (make that no previous) has been it would seem to me, the focal point for everyone bar 4 people, me, them, our boss, and our bosses boss. (and maybe the one above.. that positions had a person change in it, the previous one did, this one.. wouldnt recognise me if I went and slapped him in the face with a pair of used socks).

To me, this means its my duty to ensure that this lesser experienced person doesnt make a mess, to document how everything is to be done, to oversee and be aware of things so that at any given time, I can be professional and fix anything, and warn of impending doom etc.

Sadly this hasnt been the case, with everyone other than the previously mentioned people going to the lesser experienced person, whispering and generally making me feel pushed out and paranoid, Im not aware of whats going on, and I have seem some things the lesser experienced person has done badly or wrong and I now cant fix it until it snaps. On top of that, the anguish in my head to slap the person has been hard in that they are blissfully happy thinking the world is happy, in fact, everyone was except me.

This was hightened by the fact that this other person took credit for some of my work yesterday with the person giving the praise sitting on my desk while it was going on.. and me right next to it all.

My decision therefore was to back off, and let this person have it all. I would be there in case of emergency, the skill wont go away. However, soul responsibility is now on this other persons shoulders, while in my eyes, he seems to clearly not fully understand it, if the management tree arent/werent/cant be prepared to make a decision and either correct those making the assumption that this other person is the only person doing this task and say this other person is doing the task but is secondary to me, please talk to me as well.. Or. I back off and let the way it is be true. I took this option as apparently the option to correct anything is not politically viable within the company right now.. sigh..

I felt much better about myself and my life (although I havent enough work to keep me occupied) until my boss told me this morning that the other key thing Im responsible for is no longer to be implemented in the future within the company. Thus leaving me with like absolutely nothing to do.

So, as you see the only thing really to change is that any crap to hand out is not mine any more,and I should no longer have to worry about not being included, for it is no longer mine.. in reality nothing changes except the most important thing of all. How I feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree and support what you did there!

A Friend (you know who this is, Liz)

Charlie said...

Im sure I do :)

It is the right decision, even though manager person has already weedled out of it somehow, in that they are determind Im still working on it, but have kinda allowed me to back off as much as I feel I need to in some ways, but I still need to have a presense.